Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Mentor Interview - Week 10


I realized I really have to catch up with the blog. I have no idea why I missed so much :( Mr. Sean, will I get a lower grade if I post this late??

I actually done this interview a while ago with my mentor Melody, and here it is.

1. What is your full name?

Melody Ma

2. Where are you from?

Brooklyn, NY

3. Where did you go to college? For how long? Do you plan to go back to school?

I am currently enrolled at NYU, entering my fourth and last year. I plan to eventually go to grad school after i start working full time.

4. What was your major in college and what kind of degree did you earn? Did you attend graduate school for an advanced degree? If yes, what degree and where?

I am a Nursing major and will graduate next year with a BSN. I wish to attend graduate school and get my masters when i figure out which area of nursing i want to specialize in.

5. Why did you choose your professional field?

I chose Nursing because I am interested in science and health care.

6. What got you involved in this field of work? What inspired you to do it?

Since i have had family members with chronic illnesses, i have been in the hospital a lot. All my experiences with the nurses have been positive. I like the idea of a job where you can help people feel better.

7. Why did you choose this particular job at this particular company?

I chose this job at Spring OB/GYN because it allows me to be in a learning atmosphere. I am interesting in women's health and maternal nursing. I am able to learn about common gynecological and obstetrical problems and common treatments. Although my position is clerical instead of clinical, i am able to ask questions and occasionally shadow the doctors. It is a nice office that is conveniently close by to my school.

8. How long have you worked here?

One year

9. What is your job title?

Administrative assistant

12. What is the best part of your job?

i like being able to shadow the doctors during procedures (ie.D&C, saline sono)

18. How has having an intern helped your company advance or progress?

Having an intern has been a great help for keeping the office running throughout the day. Tina has been great delivering messages to the doctors as well as helping to fax important lab results. She also helps patients when they request records. It is so important for these tasks to be done because it meets the needs of the patients (when they doctor is able to get their messages organized to call them back)

19. What advice would you five to high school-aged interns getting ready for college?

I would advise them to start checking out schools early and make sure the school can offer them everything they want (courses, good atmosphere)

No comments:

Post a Comment